Saturday, November 19, 2011

There and Back Again.

Monday last week my mom, brother and myself went to visit my sister, brother-in-law, and the baby in Jamestown NY. We left around 10:30 in the morning. We stopped off in Iowa City for lunch and then traveled on to our first stop in Granger IN, a little town by South Bend IN.  We had dinner at a place called The Tilted Kilt. A loud sports bar. Not the best place to be on a Monday night after a long day of driving.

Tuesday we left around 9 a.m. and started the second leg of our trek. We headed to Erie PA, where my brother-in-law's parents live, to meet them and Monica (my sister) and Rick (my brother-in-law) and Justyn (the foster baby), for dinner.  After dinner we drove the rest of the way to Jamestown for the night.

Wednesday morning we headed to Big Boy for breakfast then to Monica's to get her and the baby.  We then went and had lunch at Big Boy again.  I don't need to go out of my way to eat at one again.  We then went to the Roger Tory Peterson Institute.  It was very interesting to learn about how he created the field guides for bird watchers. He drew very detailed illustrations of all the birds. He also described how to tell the difference of each bird with in each species with arrows pointing out the subtle differences of each bird.  We dropped Monica and Justyn off at home and then went back to the hotel to have a drink before we went out to dinner.   We met the three of them for dinner and then said good night for the evening.

Thursday morning we met my sister, brother-in-law, and the baby at the mall.  Mom wanted to buy some stuff that they needed for the baby like more sheets and towels some cloths.  After that we went back to our hotel had some lunch.  Then Mom, Paul, Monica and family went on a driving tour or the area.  I stayed behind in the hotel to have a nap cause I had a headache.  When they came back it was time to head out to dinner.  We had a nice dinner at a Mexican place. After dinner we said our good-byes.

Friday morning we woke up to about 4 inches of wet snow. We headed out after breakfast around 9 a.m. It was pretty cold out but as we drove the snow changed to a rain/snow mix and eventually stopped.  On this leg of the trip home we planned to hit about 4 quilt shops.  The first place we looked for was called Cottonpickers Quilt Shop in Madison Ohio.  Turned out the place was out of business.  Found out later, at the next stop, that it moved.  Our next stop was in Mentor Ohio at a place called Quilts & Sew Forth. Cute little shop on the ground level of a strip type mall.  Spent about an hour there then went to an Italian restraint that the owner of the quilt shop recommended.  They had great wedding soup.  After lunch we then headed to a place in Bettsville Ohio, called The Door Mouse.  It's the biggest quilt shop I have ever seen.  It's in a barn on highway 20.  We got there about 4:15 in the afternoon. When we first stepped in it was very over whelming. They have an inventory of 14,000 fabrics.  There was so much to look at, at first I didn't know where to begin.  After looking around some I started to find fabrics to go with the others I had purchased along the way.  I also bought a pattern to use all these fabrics in.  I'm going to make a memory quilt to remind me of the trip.  There was so much to look at in The Door Mouse that we shut the place down.  Had a good time.

Saturday we stopped at a few places in Indiana but didn't find anything I HAD to have. We stopped over night in Joliet Illinois and then finish up the trip on Sunday the 14th. It was a very windy day to be driving and we were very happy to get home.  The week was fun but tiring.  I'd love to go back to The Door Mouse one day. Also take more time to just do a quilt shop hop, I'll just be sure I call them before I go find them to be sure it is still in business.

No comments:

Post a Comment