Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Another Chenille

I finally finished the Chenille blanket that I made for my friend.  It is the biggest blanket I have worked on to date.  I first went to a fabric store with my friend and brother to pick the fabrics.  We chose 5 different flannels.
I layered them as they are pictured here. I sewed down the center both directions so there were 4 quartes to sew the diagonal lines. I used a chalk pencil and a ruler to draw the lines that I would sew.
With such a large amount of fabric I would roll it and safety pin it to hold so I could easier feed it through the machine.
Part way through the sewing process I got my new sewing machine. 
Then after another week I had to move my sewing machine up to my room since we are going to be having some work done in the basement. The sewing machine is sitting on my desk till the work is completed.  So I had to improvise a table to let the blanket to rest on so the weight wasn't dragging it off the desk all the time.
It took a few weeks to sew all the lines. After all the lines were sewn I then took a scissors and cut 2 of the layers on each side so the black fabric would show through. Then sewed the binding, washed and dried it and ended up with the finished blanket.
This is one side.
The other side.
Both sides.
The quilt was well received. I was happy to get it done in time to give it to her when we went up to Minneapolis this past weekend. I will now be working on my applique stuff since that doesn't require a sewing machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment