Sunday, August 14, 2011

What I did today.

Ok, so I said I was going to start working on my projects and I did.  The quilt project is a doozie.  It has 20 finished blocks and the finished quilt is 88" x 106 1/2".  I believe that is a queen sized quilt.  Now I don't have a queen sized-bed so I'm going to make mine 3 blocks by 4 blocks.  The finished (if it ever gets there) may be a bit bigger than a twin size, but I'd rather have extra then not enough.



These are the blocks for the quilt.  I have not decided which ones I'm going to use yet, but I do know there are several I won't use.

So back to working on the project.  I guess you can say that I technically started in earnest last week.  I took the patterns for the blocks we have been assigned so far to Copyworks, and had them laminated.



I did this hoping to keep them in good shape should I chose to do it again.  HA yeah right.  I do think I'll make a couple of pillows from a few of the ones I don't include in the blanket.

Ok, so today I organized the patterns and pulled out, from the laminated ones, the ones I hadn't traced onto the pattern ease.  I then cut my pattern ease to the 14 x14 inch block the instructions called for.  I then ironed it so it didn't have all the folds in it from being in the shopping bag for the last 2 months.  I then taped the pattern to my cutting mat and taped the pattern ease over the top of that.  I use a medium shade of blue to trace with. It took me about 3 hours to do all this. Yes, I am slow, but I wanted to take my time and do it niceish. I was also watching a movie so I was a bit distracted.

Tomorrow I will finish tracing the patterns on the pattern ease and then cut out the background blocks.  If I'm in the mood then I'll go down to the sewing machine and sew the edges of the blocks so they don't fray and sew the pattern ease on to the background block.

I probably won't blog about my project every day. I know you all will miss not having something so spellbinding to read every day, but there may be days where I just didn't have time to do anything, and I'm sure you don't want to hear about what I had for dinner.

Tomorrow, however, I will take pictures of my color scheme to show you. I know you can't wait for that.

Till tomorrow, have a good night.

Pippa

2 comments:

  1. Great idea about laminating the patterns! I'll have to remember this tip from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you could also do is do all the blocks and put sashing in between them or assemble them without sashing. Going to remember the laminating patterns tip! Lovely bright fabrics you picked!

    ReplyDelete